Climbing competitions have been part of climbing culture since before the birth of climbing gyms. Climbers gather at comps to test themselves, cheer on friends, and celebrate together. As a gym manager, comps offer unique ways to excite members, pack the gym, and attract sponsors and media.
The first Olympic Games with medals for climbing is right around the corner, and climbing will have additional medals in 2024. Now might be a good time to reevaluate how competitions and leagues fit into your event and marketing mix.
It’s not necessary to throw a World Cup to engage your customers. Very simple comps and leagues can still be cost-effective member retention strategies.
Want some inspiration for your next comp? Here are writeups and photo galleries from recent big climbing events across the country.
LOCAL – NATIONAL – USAC
- Dynos in Cages: The Dominion Energy Riverrock by Delaney Miller (gymclimber.com)
- Food, Music and Deep Water Soloing: Tuck Fest by Delaney Miller (gymclimber.com)
- Collegiate National Championships Recap by Delaney Miller (gymclimber.com)
- Commentary on Commentary: A Report Card for ESPN’s USA Climbing Broadcasts by John Burgman (climbing.com)
WORLD CUPS – IFSC – OLYMPICS
- Recap and Photo Gallery: IFSC Vail World Cup 2019 by John Burgman (climbing.com)
- History is Made in Vail: A Dark Horse and a Season Sweep by Delaney Miller (gymclimber.com)
- Fish Out of Ice: A Beginner Takes on the Ice Climbing World Cup by Corey Buhay (climbing.com)
- Tricks Up Their Sleeves: Ice / Drytooling Coursesetters Are Full of Surprises by Alison Osius (gymclimber.com)
- A Guide to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Climbing Format by John Burgman (climbing.com)