Climbing Business Journal is an independent news outlet dedicated to covering the indoor climbing industry. Here you will find the latest coverage of climbing industry news, gym developments, industry best practices, risk management, climbing competitions, youth coaching and routesetting. Stay current on the latest trends that are shaping indoor climbing.
We created CBJ to fill a gap in the climbing media universe. While there are many magazines, websites and film companies covering the exciting and photogenic world of outdoor climbing, we wanted more information about the growing indoor climbing community. We wanted one place that offered news and advice for people that work in the industry or just love climbing on plastic: owners and managers of climbing gyms, routesetters, hold shapers, wall builders, pad designers, equipment retailers and climbing geeks. Since that place didn’t exist we decided to create it. CBJ launched in July 2013.
Our goal is to provide breaking news, in-depth coverage and just plain fun stories about the indoor climbing industry. We are still figuring out what works and what you, our readers, want to see. We welcome your thoughts, suggestions and gentle criticisms, so why not drop us a line? We would love to hear from you.
- The Bulgarian Duo Leading an Indoor Rock Climbing Revolution, Bloomberg Business, November 10, 2015
- How the World’s Most Difficult Bouldering Problems Get Made, Outside Magazine, September 23, 2015
- The Rise of Climbing, New York Times, July 25, 2015
- Are Climbing Gyms the New CrossFit?, Men’s Journal, April 21, 2015
- Selling Rock Climbing in the Social-Media Era, New Yorker, March 30, 2015
- The Ultimate Indoor Rock Climbing Workout, Men’s Fitness, January 15, 2015
- Climbing Gyms Proliferate as the Sport Takes Hold, Athletic Business, July 2014
|Mike Helt, Editor-in-Chief
Mike has over 20 years experience working in and with climbing gyms all over the country. He’s a USAC Level 5 National Chief Routesetter with setting experience that ranges from locals to international World Cups. He recently sat on the USAC Routesetting Committee, which created USAC’s routesetter clinic and certification system. In 2007 he founded Routesetter.com and ran the site until its closing in 2009. Mike is also Operations Manager at Mesa Rim Climbing – Reno.