Website USA Climbing
Title: USA Climbing Development Director
Location: USA Climbing National Headquarters – Salt Lake City, UT
Position Type: Full Time – Exempt
Reports to: Chief of Staff
About USA Climbing
USA Climbing is the National Governing Body for the sport of competition climbing in the United States. Competition climbing is rapidly growing across the United States with the development of new climbing gyms and the introduction of climbing as an Olympic sport in Tokyo. Our mission is to support the well-being, development, and competitive excellence of our athletes as we advance the accessibility and growth of the climbing community nationwide. The USA Climbing Foundation is the philanthropic arm of USA Climbing focused on raising funds for USA Climbing through two core principles – Transformation and Triumph.
The Development Director is responsible for developing and implementing actions to significantly advance the newly formed USA Climbing Foundation and its fundraising aspirations. Paramount to these aspirations is maintaining strong relationships with existing donors and soliciting new donors to support the advancement of the Foundation’s two core missions of Transformation – bringing climbing to everyone, and Triumph – advancing high performance sport and results. The ideal candidate will possess a strong passion for climbing, the Olympic Movement, and building relationships that help support the sport over the long term.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, and direct all fundraising activities to advance the mission of the Foundation and USA Climbing, including to further USA Climbing’s goals for diversity, equity, and inclusion. These include major gifts, annual fund, special events, trustee/donor relations, grant programs, and capital campaigns.
- Work closely with the Chief of Staff and other officers of the Foundation and USA Climbing to facilitate Foundation operations such as planning, budgeting, reporting, etc.
- Launch and grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Work with USA Climbing Board members and Foundation trustees to assist in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects.
- Cultivate identified prospects via in-person visits, telephone and email communication, and engagement opportunities such as special events.
- Develop and implement an annual fundraising calendar, mailings, and annual fundraising drive.
- Coordinate fundraising and special events that provide opportunities to engage prospective donors, volunteers, and advocates of USA Climbing, while achieving philanthropic goals and initiatives.
- Manage all Foundation board of trustee relations, recruitment, onboarding, stewardship, and meetings.
- Steward trustees and donors via a variety of means including consistent communication and facilitating experiences at National Championships, World Cup, World Championships and the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Develop, implement, and oversee a fundraising database and tracking system, maintaining accurate donor records in coordination with USA Climbing membership tracking.
- Utilize the donor database to facilitate donors through the moves management process and record all relationship interactions.
- Coordinate closely with USA Climbing Marketing & Communications team to ensure cohesive messaging.
- Ensure timely and accurate acknowledgement and tax receipts for all incoming gifts.
- Maintain and grow gift recognition programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nonprofit or Business Administration, Communications, or closely related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years corporate or private fundraising experience
- CFRE certification preferred, other professional certifications and/or advanced degree a plus
- Knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly annual funds and major gifts, and particularly in relation to sport.
- Ability to articulate an organization’s vision, values, and programs – particularly in relation to sport – to donors, volunteers, and staff in an engaging, motivating, and compelling manner, resulting in an outpouring of philanthropic support.
- Familiarity with Salsa or other Donor Management Software a plus.
- Superior written/verbal communication skills with exceptional attention to detail; grant writing experience a plus.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and proven ability to build and translate relationships into charitable gifts.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening skills.
- Resourceful and independent, yet able to work effectively and collaboratively within an integrated, team-oriented environment.
- Professionalism, discretion, and confidentiality in matters of staff/donor privacy.
- Results-oriented, creative, flexible, and innovative.
Compensation / Other
- Annual salary of $65,000-$85,000, commensurate with experience
- Vacation / Paid Time Off included
- Inclusion in USAC benefits package (Health/Vision/Dental, IRA, including company match)
- “Pro Deals” with participating companies
- Position involves travel and some evening and weekend work during events
USA Climbing supports diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms and strives to incorporate DEI
into all it does. We encourage those from underrepresented communities to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to Caitlin@usaclimbing.org