Website Session Climbing
Time Well Spent
Status: Accepting applications
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Hours: Full Time, Exempt
Rate: Based on Experience
- PTO & Paid Federal Holidays
- Health benefits
- Contribution to Simple IRA
- Facility membership for yourself and partner/family
Session’s mission is to deliver on the promise of “time well spent.” We believe how people spend their time reflects the greatest expression of their priorities. We exist to enhance the quality of life in the communities we serve. We believe a winning culture of “time well spent” begins with our employees, who enable Session to bring our brand to life via our climbing product and programs, fitness offerings, yoga programs, and social spaces.
Session is located in Santa Rosa, California, and is a 23,000 square-foot, ground-up build. The Head Setter/Head Coach oversees 4,000 square-feet of bouldering terrain (14’ walls), 13,000 square-feet of rope climbing (34’ – 48’ walls), a 1,000 square-foot training area, and everything necessary to maintain them.
Session is searching for a visionary leader to be our next Director of Setting & Coaching. This role includes leading a setting team & program, but also developing a structure and culture of mentorship. Crucially, the climbing experience reaches far beyond the movement we offer on our walls. We seek a leader who can coach our young competitive athletes, but also help develop coaching talent from within. This role requires collaboration across the business to ensure our classes, programs, and setting product work harmoniously.
Our ideal candidate is comfortable managing a small team and be detail oriented. They are self-motivated, an excellent communicator, and a problem solver. They are passionate about quality, creativity, inclusivity, and collaboration.
Applicants should meet the position qualifications and must be able to collaborate on creating a route setting & coaching program with management.
Qualifications & Requirements
* We will consider all applicants carefully. If you do not meet the above criteria but think you’re a good fit for the position, please apply.
- Strong vision and quality standards for a setting program
- Strong vision and quality standards for a coaching program
- Excellent communicator, motivator, and collaborator
- Ability to train and supervise a small staff
- Manage hold and equipment budgets
- 3+ years setting experience
- 3+ years competitive youth coaching experience
- Knowledgeable about work-at-height protocols
- Ability to set and forerun up to 5.13 and V10
- Familiar with USAC rules/regulations
Establish, maintain, and continually improve:
- Policies and procedures for all stages of the setting process
- Culture of workplace safety
- Setting culture that emphasizes variety, creativity, and member experience
- Program of setter development that emphasizes both rope climbing and bouldering
- Route setting room and route setting equipment
- Training wall, campus board, and hangboards
- Rope and bouldering walls
Work alongside route setters on workdays:
- Setting routes and boulder problems
- Forerunning routes and boulder problems
- Doing wash, putting away equipment and work materials
Research and stay current with:
- Trends and innovations in routesetting and routesetting products
- Standards of work-at-height practices
Ability to regularly lift 45lbs.+ as part of workday
- Fill the role of Head Coach for our competitive team by overseeing team practices and managing coaching staff
- Manage and implement systems that support successful recreational and competitive team tracks, organizing team try-out procedures, managing individual youth athlete development, and ensuring weekly practice plans and season plans are created
- Manage USAC related administrative tasks, including scheduling coaches at competitions, setting up team rosters, and adhering to current USAC guidelines
- Recruit, develop, manage and retain program staff. Build and motivate a qualified and capable team.
- Perform regular safety inspections of ropes, autobelays, all wall hardware, flooring, and setting equipment
- Proactively search for, identify, and resolve safety issues in the bouldering area, rope climbing area, and training area; or notify the General Manager immediately if unable to resolve the problem
- Maintain and continually improve a work culture of professionalism, inclusivity, growth, and individual and collective responsibility
- Regularly provide informal, on-the-job feedback to all route setters and coaches
- Conduct regularly scheduled formal evaluations of all route setters and coaches
- Create, communicate, and update setting short-term and long-term goals for the routesetting crew
Facilitate development and training for the setting team through apprenticeships, workshops, and work-at-height training
- Report regularly to and work with the General Manager on safety, ordering and budgeting, training strategies, and routesetter evaluations and performance issues
- Participate in hiring of route setters and coaches
- Plan, organize, and manage competitions, member leagues, and training camps
- The above does not cover all aspects of the Director of Setting & Coaching’s responsibilities. Additional tasks and duties will come up.
To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com