Honolulu's Climbing Gym
HiClimb is a brand new climbing facility located in Honolulu, Hawaii. Our 14,000 square foot facility offers over 8,000 square feet of climbing terrain that includes bouldering, top-rope, and lead climbing. We are a community-focused facility based on the improvement of people’s lives through the sport of indoor rock climbing. We are located in the heart of the city just a few blocks from the beach and great surf. Outdoor climbing is sprinkled across the island with about 13 rope crags and 98 bouldering zones available year around.
Lead Route Setter
The Lead Route Setter is an experienced setter who will work directly for the Route Setting Manager (RSM) as a lead route setter. For this position, you must be highly proficient in rigging and setting roped routes. You will also be expected to set boulder problems. The setting will be based
on community demands and encouraged to express your individual style and skill.
As part of the setting team, lead setters are also responsible for stripping routes and problems as prescribed by the RSM and the facility rotation, cleaning holds and organizing the setting room/storage, removing stuck holds, and safety inspections of the facility.
They will also need to be able to prepare climbing terrain for events such as competitions, classes, and children’s programs. Individuals should be efficient and timely in the setting process. Highly socialized individuals who prefer working in team environments required.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Follow setting schedule and set to HiClimb standards
- Proper and continuous communication with Route Setting Manager and Setting Team
- Route tags/tape upkeep
Perform safety inspections of routes and equipment to identify fall hazards, rope drag concerns, life-span and wear issues, etc.
- Rope and hardware management skills
- Maintain setting gear and equipment
- Hold cleaning and storage/setting room organization and cleanliness
Assist with wall maintenance (spinners, t-nuts, etc.)
- Support Head Setter with competitions and special events as needed
- Aid in implementing and enforcing facility rules
- Forerun all routes and witness member/user sends
- Be polite and responsive to community feedback
- Retrieve auto belays, hang ropes, etc. as the needs arise
- Provide mentorship as needed for Route Setting Apprenticeship program
- Work with Route Setting Manager and team coaches for youth climbing team-specific setting
- Participate in route setting related events (or events that include a route setting component)
- Sets 3-4 days per week as needed
- Minimum of five years of rock climbing experience indoors and outdoors
- Highly proficient in rigging and roped route setting
- 1+ years of commercial route setting experience in a gym
- Ability to forerun at least V6 and top rope and lead 5.11+
- Ability to carry up to 50 lbs. and move large ladders
- Ability to haul volumes and holds to top of walls using appropriate rigging systems
- Competition setting experience is a plus
- Must be an active climber
- Starting: $17.00 -19.00 per hour based on individual experience
- Relocation allowance negotiable
- Health care for full-time employees
- Biannual Climbing shoe allowance
- Weekly access to on-the-clock in-house physical therapist and yoga sessions as available
- Complimentary membership for a significant other or family members
- Daily buddy passes
- Free access to youth programs for children when vacancies exist and at management’s discretion
- Paid time off (PTO) policies 11 holidays (paid time and a half for hourly employees) and 10 days of PTO (Full-time hourly employees receive 10 days of PTO each year after completing 2 years of their full-time work. These do not roll over.)
- One month paid sabbatical every 3 years of FT service
Please visit: https://www.hawaiiclimb.com/join-the-team and submit a resume. A portfolio of your work is highly encouraged.
For more information, please email the RSM, Justin Ridgely at Justin@HawaiiClimb.com
To apply for this job email your details to Admin@hawaiiclimb.com