Website Ground Up Climbing
Ground Up Climbing
The ideal candidate for this position is a passionate climber, a reflective leader, and an organizational wizard. This person loves systems and using policies and procedures to improve the function of the spaces they care about and the teams they manage. This person is motivated by the mission statement of Ground Up and can see the bigger picture of serving and nurturing the Squamish Climbing Community.
Ground Up runs on a decentralized organizational structure where each major department runs as a micro business within the company. Accountability is the name of the game. As the Operations Manager, you will be held accountable to uphold and improve the general operations of Ground Up Climbing, including retail, café, front desk, risk management, maintenance and customer service functions. You will be required to collaborate with other departments within the company on a regular and fluid basis. This will involve applying experience in and knowledge of the intricacies and impacts of staffing, training, expenses and revenues. You will be the second in command to the Director, and will step into their responsibilities, and will be able to delegate your own appropriately when necessary. The flip side of all these systems and responsibilities is that we will also give you the freedom to build and influence the growth of the Squamish climbing community within the framework of Ground Up’s mission statement and Objectives.
- Foster a welcoming and inclusive community
Ensure high customer service standards are maintained by all front desk staff in accordance with our policies and procedures
- Work with the Director to apply new and creative ways of motivating employees to uphold our customer service standards
- Continue to uphold and foster the professional atmosphere of Ground Up by keeping a well maintained, clean and bright environment, in line with industry standards
- Ensure diligent maintenance checks are performed of all climbing equipment and on-wall hardware by the front desk/operations team and resolve any major issues or discrepancies
- Manage the outsourcing of maintenance tasks beyond the scope of the facilities department, adhering to prudent contract identification and execution
- Ensure the work environment is safe and secure for staff and members by holding staff accountable to Ground Up risk management policies
- Serve as staff lead in risk management development and execution
- Oversee incident reporting and reviews, safety reviews, emergency scenarios, and policy-writing
- Act as Incident Commander in an emergency
- Perform all hiring, training and mentoring of front desk staff
- Take responsibility for and facilitate ongoing positive relationships between staff and customers
- Schedule monthly staff meetings to keep all staff up to date with any changes to gym operations and policy and including professional development material.
Employee Supervision and Management
- Delegate duties amongst front desk supervisors and staff and make sure they are completed on time and to a high standard
- Motivate staff members to maintain a high standard of work, accepting feedback and creating appropriate space for staff to learn and help improve our operations.
- Consistently give critical feedback to staff to help them grow and improve professionally
- Perform disciplinary action when needed and manage conflicts that come up by following all procedures outlined in the policies and procedures
- Create and anticipate a monthly schedule for Front Desk Staff, coordinating with other department heads where necessary to ensure that BC employment standards are upheld
- Coordinate with the Community Liaison as promotions occur to ensure Front Desk Staff are trained accordingly
- Ensure payroll and human resources responsibilities are executed diligently and accurately
- Develop and maintain an excellent understanding of the
- Rock Gym Pro (RGP) software, serving as a resource and guide
- Update a Front Desk budget every month for wages, retail, café and maintenance expenditures
- Perform cash out audits and cash drops on a regular basis
- Ensure bookings for all classes, programs and training are taken accurately and outstanding invoices are collected
- Audit website, signage, public-facing calendars and newsletter for accurate info monthly, including but not limited to job posts, events pages, program offerings.
- Contribute to and support the implementation of any new, or updated policies or procedures
Retail and Café Management
- Develop a retail and café vision and ensure all staff are trained in specifics of what we are selling and why
- Ensure retail stock levels are maintained, ordering stock when needed
- Stocktake retail and investigate any large discrepancies
- Maintain organized, clean, and thoughtfully arranged retail area
- Ensure Food Safe standards are followed by all staff and maintain a high standard for food and beverage items sold and made in house
- Work together with other department heads, contributing new ideas for improving membership sales, membership retention, customer service, retail sales and merchandising
- Support and champion all tasks required to help the climbing gym operate smoothly, using resources from other departments when necessary and leaning into help others as well
Management Oversight and Direction
Second in command to the Director, able to take on director responsibilities in their absence including:
- Lead the management team with the shared goal of running a high quality gym
- Maintain accountability, discipline, and professionalism among managers and staff and ensure management quality by participating in assessment and evaluation at all levels of the gym
- Support continued professional development of the management team
- Solve problems and make decisions quickly while exercising discretion and considering the mission statement and values of the organization
- Contribute to community initiatives and exercise growth mindset principles
- Actively reach out to support all Ground Up Managers and stay accountable to higher level tasks when asked. These could include but are not limited to things like stories and social media posts for the Community Liaison, keeping gym tags and Kaya active and updated for the Head Routesetter, scheduling staff for belay sessions for the Program Director, or reaching out to members for the Memberships Manager
- Excellent communication and proven leadership skills
- 2-3 years of facility and staff management experience
- 3-5 years of customer service experience
- A comprehensive understanding of the BC Employment Standards
- Strong ethos for community building and growth mindset
- Self-starter and motivated to contribute to the success of both the company and the community it serves.
- Collaborates well with co-workers and departments
- Highly organized with proven ability to prioritize and multitask
- Flexible schedule; available during evenings and weekends when needed
- Comfortable offering and receiving constructive feedback
Assets to the Position
- ACMG Certifications including Climbing Gym Instructor Level 2 and Top Rope Climbing Instructor, or Equivalent
- Foodsafe BC certification
- 3-5 years of experience working full time in a climbing facility
- 3-5 years climbing facility management experience
- Professional management and leadership training as related to conflict resolution, goal setting, communication and radical criticism and honesty.
- Experience with RGP software
Not sure if you have the right skills and assets? Ground Up is willing to invest heavily in your training and professional development, but we also expect a high degree of commitment in return. The Operations Manager will be expected to take on a contract for a minimum of 3 years.
As described above, this position will be dynamic in nature. The Operations Manager will need to be able to step in to lead programs, train staff, work front desk shifts, and find time for administrative duties. Though this position is a 40 hour a week position, with a generally stable schedule of 8 hour days, 5 days a week, the Operations Manager must be ready and willing to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
Compensation And Benefits
$50,000-58,000* annual pay, salaried position
- Paid time off
- Paid sick days
- Extended health benefits
- Retail and café discounts
- Membership to the facility
*To be assessed with relation to relevant certifications, education and experience.
Please fill out this questionnaire and email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Top applicants interviewed on a rolling basis.
Ground Up strives to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to building an inclusive workforce. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. We believe that different perspectives, experiences and identities strengthen our communities and push us forward.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com