Title: HEAD ROUTE SETTER
Employment Type: Full time
Application Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Exciting opportunity to become the Head Route Setter and a core team member of the newly built climbing gym, Gravity Lab, located in Durango, CO!
Gravity Lab is looking for a head route setter with experience, creativity, initiative, leadership, and a passion for high quality setting. Essential duties include; managing route setting strategy and schedule, inventory, equipment/wall inspection, and route setting team development. There is great potential for rapid growth and professional opportunity in this position.
Gravity Lab is a locally owned, newly constructed climbing gym serving Southwest Colorado and the greater Four Corners Region. We feature 4,000 sq. feet of climbing surfaces, which include: bouldering, roped climbing, auto belays, spray wall, campus board, training system boards, cardio equipment and free weights. Our vision is to be an inclusive, climbing inspired community space that provides an engaging and quality climbing experience to all ages and abilities. We aim to serve as a resource for the community and to provide opportunities for education, fitness, health, wellness, and community connection.
As the Head Route Setter for Gravity Lab, you will be in a unique position to manage and grow a creative, proficient and passionate team of route setters with the ability to provide high quality, innovative and safe routes to engage all users.
Core Duties Include:
· Manage route setting with appropriate route quantity and quality to support membership base.
· Manage route setting gear and hold inventory.
· Regular stripping, cleaning, and re-setting.
· Manage wall and hold maintenance program, including equipment inspection and logs.
· Maintain a clean and orderly working space.
· Ordering holds and volumes within Gym budget in collaboration with General Manager.
· Ensure safe route setting practices, with adherence to Gravity Lab’s risk management policy.
· Develop and oversee route setting staff.
· Ensure quality, accuracy, and accessibility of climbs.
· Manage route setter scheduling, hiring, training and reviews.
· Provide opportunities for mentorship for staff interested in becoming route setters.
· Encourage feedback and suggestions from members and guests on how to best meet their needs.
· Maintain professionalism at all times and represent Gravity Lab with integrity.
· Competition logistics coordination – setting, scoring, rules, setter schedules/coordination, etc.
· Support daily operations of Gravity Lab when needed, including front desk operations, member and guest relations, supporting youth programming, coaching, training, etc.
· Minimum 2 years route setting experience
· Management experience preferred
· USAC Level 1 Certification or higher preferred
· Setting and forerunning routes up to grade 5.13 / V9
· CPR / basic First Aid
· Proficient at working at heights.
· Ability to meet the physical demands of the work, lifting up to 50 lbs, extended time setting routes for consecutive days, etc.
· Hardworking, professional, collaborative
· Highly organized, attention to detail
· Excellent communication and customer service skills
· 10 days paid time off
· Flexible unpaid time off
· Group health insurance
· Access to all gym amenities
· Trainings and professional growth opportunities