Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Lafayette, CO
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision available, 401k available
Compensation Range: Will depend on experience + Bonus
Are you a passionate climber and want to design gear? Are you creative and enjoy finding the right blend of function and simplicity in your designs? Are you excited to get your hands dirty? Do you enjoy testing out your ideas in the real world and aren’t afraid of letting field testing and feedback drive improvements?
Join the Trango product team, the Mechanical Design Engineer (MDE) will work to enact the vision of the Trango Product Management Team (PMT). You will be a part of a small team that is growing and contribute to the direction of the overall product line.
The MDE will be reporting to the Product Manager (PM), the MDE is lead on executing product design and functionality testing. From concept to reality, the MDE will support creation of new and innovative products while also managing updates to existing products. Experience with quality systems, lean manufacturing techniques, sourcing and vendor qualification are important.
You have good verbal, written communication skills, and are comfortable with occasional customer-facing meetings. You’re able to self-prioritize deadlines while keeping a focus on ensuring project requirements and you’re able to speak up when it’s not feasible to accomplish your tasks within the constraints you’re given.
• Can work with the Product Management team to perform market research to anticipate market needs
• Can transform market desires to engineering design requirements
• Can create a design from concept to product execution
• Can develop design concepts and prototypes
• Assist with determining and setting milestones for project review points with Product Manager
• Solidworks, Autocad, Rhino or other CAD design proficiency
• GD&T drawing generation and review of others prints and evaluating specifications from input to assist with project scoping,
• Communicating with senior staff to raise design issues or concerns
• Build and test prototypes through 3D printing or other means
• Seek feedback on design prototypes and incorporate feedback from the market, the product team and Trango athletes to improve designs
• Reviewing samples of parts and inspecting them for issues and incompatibilities
• Responsible for releasing manufacturing prints to machine shops and other outside vendors.
• Generate 3D models, assemblies, and manufacturing drawing
• Work with PM and vendors on any changes that might be required for manufacturing
Product Quality Control:
• Establish critical review points on new products
• Review all products on a regular basis to search out improvements in quality that might be possible.
• Provide mechanical design and sustaining engineering expertise to troubleshoot manufacturing defect trends and achieve a more robust and producible product
• Perform structural analysis on parts and assemblies when required
• Maintain quality chain, which could include vendor visits while the parts and assemblies are being constructed to assure they are being mfg according to design
• Inspect and manage quality control in conjunction with the PM on all incoming product.
• Experience with quality systems, lean manufacturing techniques, sourcing, and vendor qualification is helpful
• Product safety testing and certifications awareness
• Strong understanding of climbing market
• Advanced knowledge of techniques in climbing (bouldering, sport, trad, alpine, and gym climbing)
• Experience working with teams and external business partnerships
• 3+ years of Mechanical Design Experience
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 35% of the time
• Expert at analyzing products
• Experience and ability to work with and protect proprietary, private, and confidential information
• CAD Required/ CAM knowledge helpful.
• Ability to manage multiple deadlines in a fast paced, changing environment.
• Strong communication skills
• Comprehensive understanding of product design and global manufacturing enterprises.
• Demonstrated technical proficiency and/or project leadership skills, including the ability to establish a budget and schedule and adhere to them.
• Knowledge of some specific manufacturing techniques such as, machining, forging, forming, casting, plastic injection molding, lamination, cut & sew, knitting, braiding, and weaving
• Strong collaboration and negotiation skills are required.
• Thorough knowledge of MS office tools required.
• Must be able to understand the product and provide critical feedback on product function.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com