Website The Front Climbing Club
Come as you are. We'll send you home stronger.
Seeking experienced route setters who are passionate about rock climbing and working in a gym setting. Route Setters are responsible for setting quality and consistent climbing routes throughout The Front locations, as well as performing regular wall maintenance. The Front locations include Ogden, Salt Lake City, and Millcreek. Full-time and Part-time openings.
You know what it takes to keep world class facilities running. You work carefully and efficiently, and you take pride in the quality of what you produce. You are an expert problem solver, and you want to be involved in purposeful work with legacy efficacy.
You are committed to supporting your team by ensuring clear communication. Your eye for process improvement and commitment to quality control ensures you do not perform at status quo – you push your team and company to new heights (no pun intended).
The Front Climbing Club was Utah’s first indoor rock-climbing gym, and one of the first in the nation. From its humble beginnings as The Body Shop back in the 80’s to three best-in-class facilities today, The Front has never lost its soul or connection to its roots.
The Front’s mission is to create innovative spaces that maximize the climbing experience, inspire meaningful connections, and foster an engaged community.
PRIMARY AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Sets routes/problems to requested grade;
- Experiment with different setting styles, innovating and co-creating with the rest of the team;
- Forerun routes and problems providing constructive feedback to setting team members;
- Take constructive feedback and make appropriate changes to your product;
- Strips handholds and tape prior to setting wall sections;
- Cleans handholds and the climbing wall;
- Organizes holds by color and/or type pending on gym and situation as needed;
- Fixes spinners and t-nuts as needed;
- Sets for competitions and work events;
- Floor monitor duties including surveying the climbing areas looking for compliance with rules and policies (e.g., appropriate certification tags on all climbers/belayers, compliance with belay test protocols);
- Addresses areas of concern in a friendly, non-confrontational manner;
- Coordinates concerns with Front Desk and other staff;
- Performs auto belay orientation/test and lead/TR belay tests in accordance with set guidelines as needed by the Front Desk.
- Some coaching may be required;
- Ability to work in other areas of the gym as needed;
- Other wall maintenance as needed.
- Minimum of two years of gym route setting;
- Competition route setting experience a plus;
- Minimum of three years of rock climbing experience;
- Knowledge of climbing wall tools and equipment;
- Able to maintain safe working environment while working efficiently;
- Must wear protective eyewear, helmets are also required when setting routes;
- USAC and or IFSC certifications are a plus;
- Ability to work nights and weekends;
- Ability to commute between gyms;
- Ability to stand on your feet the majority of the day;
- Stooping and bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist;
- Work off the ground 120+ feet;
- Crouching, kneeling, twisting, reaching, climbing, pushing and pulling;
- Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm;
- Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the feet, wrists, hands, and/or fingers;
- Agrees to follow Route Setting Protocols.
- Exposure to airborne chalk, dust and cleaning supplies.
- PPE is required for this position
- May be exposed to objects falling from great heights when floor monitoring, belay testing, setting, and performing wall maintenance, and exposure to falls from ladders or ropes while providing instruction and setting.
- May also be exposed to trips and falls caused by obstacles on the ground such as ropes, climbing gear, equipment and tools.
The Front Climbing Clubs are committed to providing an equal employment opportunity environment of mutual respect for all its people. This work atmosphere is available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The Front Climbing Clubs strongly believes that diversity and inclusion amongst our teams is critical to our success as an organization. We are driven to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. As such, we highly encourage those with diverse backgrounds to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com