Website Stone Age Climbing Gym
Why Stone Age Climbing Gym
Founded in 1997, Stone Age Climbing Gym’s vision is that climbing can change lives by nurturing the individual. We are seeking an exceptional candidate to join our team as a full-time general manager of our North gym to support us as we continue to build the climbing community in Albuquerque, NM.
Our Mission – To serve our community through a shared passion for climbing.
Our Vision – Through continual improvement, we strive to change lives and nurture the individual.
Our Values – Service, Passion, Integrity
New Mexico’s high desert climate boasts over 300 days of sun per year with low humidity resulting in year-round opportunities for outdoor climbing and features an affordable cost of living in a city with a population of about 900k. Besides climbing, the state offers opportunities for many other outdoor activities and best of all, a small population that allows for communing with nature without the crowds. Albuquerque is a multicultural city and is home to many diverse communities. Stone Age is committed to initiating and actively supporting activities that will bring climbing to our diverse population.
If we are to describe the main characteristic of the new general manager (GM), it would be collaboration. This job opening is for the GM for our North gym who will work in tandem with the company owners and the Midtown GM to serve our customers, employees, and strengthen the climbing community while growing a successful business. They will be in charge of day-to-day operations as part of a team at North’s 27,000 SF facility and will have an opportunity to contribute to every level of Stone Age Climbing Gym’s overall success.
Because of the proximity of the Midtown and North gyms, the facilities operate based on a single schedule and some staff will be shared between locations. Shared staff consists mainly of front desk crew. However, the gyms also share maintenance and routesetting crews on a regular schedule. For this reason, the North GM will be required to integrate with the existing Stone Age management team and lead in such a way that will seamlessly serve both facilities to fulfill the mission and vision of the company and uphold its values.
Desired Personal Traits
- Able to work collaboratively with the GM of the Midtown gym; great communication and shared purpose will be critical for the success of the company
- Able to lead by example and inspire others to be their best
- Able to think creatively to bring new ideas and fresh energy to the company
- Demonstrate initiative with the ability to identify and solve problems
- Able to make executive decisions while keeping the company’s goals in mind
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have a professional appearance and manner with excellent customer service skills
- Be dependable, self-confident, mature, and able to work independently
- Have a positive attitude, be flexible, eager to learn, and willing to adapt to new challenges and responsibilities
- Have strong organizational skills, ability to handle multiple projects at once, and manage time effectively
- Willingness to occasionally work weekends, more than 5 days in a row, and exceed more than 40 hours in a work week during busy intervals and to respond to emergencies.
Providing service with passion and integrity to our community and nurturing each individual are at the core of our values and mission. We can only accomplish that if each crew member is fully committed to this mission and the general manager is expected to lead their team to accomplish these goals.
Culture, Risk Management, and Community
- Embody the company values and share them with employees and customers alike; train new employees on culture and set expectations
- Promote a risk management attitude
- Coordinate, respond to, and follow up on incident reports
- Organize staff team building events
- Promote diversity among both Stone Age’s team and customers
- Resolve customer service complaints in a manner that enhances Stone Age’s reputation in the market
- Maintain the company image by working with the marketing team to develop high quality and professionally designed communication materials across all platforms – print ads, web materials, social media content, and facility signage
- Promote the company by creating and maintaining local and national business relationships and by sponsoring and/or participating in community events
- Assist the management team in developing programs, classes, workshops, and special events
- Maintain and execute the yearly calendar of events with input from the management team
Business and Staff Development
- Help to drive growth of the company by assisting the marketing team to acquire new customers and convert them into repeat customers and members through an excellent gym experience
- Ensure excellent customer experience through the interaction with the Stone Age crew; develop the crew to consistently deliver this experience
- Represent the company as a professional at all times whether on or off the clock
- Be on call to resolve any staffing issues, find coverage or cover any critical missed shifts; this may occasionally require a response 24/7 for emergency issues
- Forecast future changes and anticipate the need for hiring in a timely fashion; be an integral part of the hiring process
- Care for the well-being of the crew, counsel team members, and maintain morale
- Be physically in the office a minimum of 30 hours per week to keep tabs on gym operations, be accessible to the staff and able to address customer concerns
- Ensure compliance of all policies outlined in employee handbook
- Conduct employee performance reviews for all direct reports
- Responsible to hire, discipline, and terminate all direct reports and Customer Service Representatives with review and approval from company ownership.
- Prepare procedure updates and work with the Front Desk Managers to ensure the crew is up-to-date on changes
- Help lead meetings for all team members and smaller breakouts, both in person and virtually
- Alternate with the Midtown GM the compilation of the internal gym news and distribute to staff on a weekly basis
- Coordinate with the Midtown GM the review and approval of the weekly employee schedule to ensure that the needs of both gyms are met; will occasionally need to be responsible for creating the entire schedule when collaborators are out of the office
- Review time cards every two weeks for accuracy in preparation for payroll; alternate responsibility with Midtown GM to export time cards for payroll
- Be part of the HR team and be available to listen to and address employee concerns about their work environment, coworkers, and the management team.
- Ensure the gym is clean inside and outside and resolve any issues
- Ensure that all equipment is functioning properly and coordinate with maintenance staff or contractors to remediate any issues in a timely manner
- Obtain and review bids for facility upgrades or maintenance projects; coordinate approval of work with gym ownership and coordinate completion of the job with the selected contractors
- Be on call 24/7 to monitor security footage and coordinate police response to alarms
- Troubleshoot the computer systems and ensure they run smoothly; coordinate with the IT contractor to maintain the systems’ security and any other actions that ensure proper functioning.
- At least 2 years of experience managing a team
- A broad range of climbing experience including bouldering, sport, and traditional climbing; mountaineering and ice climbing experience are a plus
- Prior experience working in the indoor climbing and/or fitness industry
- Competence required with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
Desired but not required
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- Instructor or Guiding Certifications from the AMGA or similar organizations
- Working knowledge of Rock Gym Pro
- Experience with scheduling
Compensation and Benefits
Stone Age treats its people as the most important asset of our business. We offer a competitive salary and industry leading benefits commensurate with experience. This is a 40 hour per week full time exempt salaried position. The following benefits are available immediately upon hiring:
- Two weeks of paid time off
- Gym family membership and access to all classes
- Employee retail discount
The following benefits are available after 2 months of full-time employment:
- Health/dental/vision insurance
- Relevant continuing education cost reimbursement with approval from ownership
- Pro purchases
In addition, participation in the Stone Age SIMPLE Individual Retirement Account (IRA) savings plan is available as per the Federal rule generally in the 2nd calendar year of employment.
The application period is November 15th – December 10th, 2022. Submit your application, resume, and cover letter detailing your qualification for this position, and why you want to work at Stone Age to email@example.com.
Our job application can be found here.