Website Junction Climbing Centre & J2 Bouldering
Junction Climbing Centre and J2 Bouldering are hiring an Experienced Routesetter!
We are looking for an experienced, creative routesetter who has a passion for providing the highest quality climbing experience to all gym customers. The successful candidate will be a seasoned climber who has an extensive understanding of climbing movement. They have proven capable of designing engaging, unique climbs in various styles and difficulties. They understand that a commercial setting product must be designed to fit the needs of a massive variety of customer types. To that end, they actively work to empathize with climbers of all levels, and develop a deep understanding of customer needs and capabilities so that they can best tailor each climb to the target customer.
Experienced Routesetters are responsible for designing and installing boulder problems and routes under the direction of setting team leadership. They work as part of a team towards completing the objectives for each setting project with the highest quality. Routesetters also forerun and tweak climbs as a group to finalize every climb with the combined input, knowledge and perspective of multiple setters. In addition to setting and forerunning, Routesetters are responsible for the stripping, cleaning and upkeep of the climbing area, and maintaining setting tools and setting storage areas.
- Minimum 1 year full-time setting experience in a commercial climbing facility
- 3-4 days per week
- Boulder problems and routes, including top rope and lead
- Strong skills in communication and organization
- Passion for providing the highest quality climbing experience for every customer
- Adaptable with the ability to thrive in a quickly changing environment and industry
- Ability to receive and provide constructive criticism effectively and professionally
- Ability to assess the quality, difficulty and accessibility of climbs in a wide range of styles and levels
- Ability to be uniquely creative in a structured system
- Must be in appropriate physical condition for manual labour, including working at height from ladders, ropes and lifts
- Must be able to work at both Junction Climbing Centre and J2 Bouldering, weekly
- Must be available to work at least 3 weekdays between 8am-6pm with occasional work on evenings and weekends for events
- Must be able to pass a police check
- Must be a compatible match with Junction and J2’s setting team culture
- Competition setting experience
- Experience working in multiple commercial facilities, including experience guest setting with different gyms
- Aerial lift certification for articulating boom and scissor lift
- CPR and First Aid certification
- $20.25-$23/hr commensurate with experience
- Regular wage increases
- More hours may be available if willing to work other gym departments
- $500/year Health Benefits Account, increases annually
- $400/year gear stipend
- $500/year acute injury stipend
- $250/year wellness stipend
- Membership at Junction Climbing Centre and J2 Bouldering
- Industry discounts and perks
- Paid time, weekly, for physical health management including conditioning, injury prevention and injury rehab
Junction Climbing Center and J2 Bouldering are equal opportunity employers. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply and all applicants will be considered. Even if you do not 100% meet the requirements, we encourage you to apply and highlight your transferable skills. While we are deeply appreciative of everyone who takes the time to apply, only those applicants who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please email your resume to email@example.com by Feb 28th, 2023.
Start date: May 2023
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org