Website Junction Climbing Centre & J2 Bouldering
Junction Climbing Centre and J2 Bouldering are hiring an Assistant Head Setter!
The Assistant Head Setter is an experienced, creative routesetter who possesses excellent skills in leadership, communication, organization and time management. They actively empathize with the needs and abilities of climbers at all levels and use this understanding to help cultivate a diverse product that is tailored to every customer type. They have a keen eye for detail and can guide a team of setters towards a cohesive product by always considering the big-picture objectives. They thrive in a teamwork environment. They prioritize team goals above individual output and have rich interpersonal skills which allow them to function with their teammates both as a peer and a leader. They can adapt to the dynamic growth of the setting industry, both professionally and culturally. To that end, they are open minded to change, excited about improving procedures and they advocate for the advancement of diversity and inclusivity in setting and climbing.
The Assistant Head Setter will assist the Head Setter in planning, hiring, training, managing events and ensuring the flow and safety of day-to-day operations. They will be the lead supervisor when the Head Setter is absent. In addition, the Assistant Head Setter will function as an experienced routesetter who can meet Junction and J2’s standards for quality and quantity of boulder problems and routes on each setting day. They will use their extensive knowledge of movement to set unique, engaging climbs and forerun climbs while making tweaks to ensure a well-rounded final product.
- Minimum 2 years full-time setting experience in a commercial climbing facility
- 3-4 days per week
- Boulder problems and routes, including top rope and lead
- Excellent skills in leadership, communication, and people management
- Passion for providing the highest quality climbing experience for every customer and dedication to driving our team in constantly improve in this
- Ability to coordinate many moving pieces to cultivate a cohesive finished product
- Ability to mentor new setters and lead by example in professionalism, communication and customer-empathy
- Highly organized with the ability to manage time constraints, both personally and while directing a team
- Ability to be uniquely creative in a structured system
- Adaptable with the ability to thrive in a quickly changing environment and industry
- Ability to receive and provide constructive criticism effectively and professionally
- Ability to assess the quality, difficulty and accessibility of climbs in a wide range of styles and levels and articulate those concepts to develop other setters in the same
- Must be in appropriate physical condition for manual labour, including working at height from ladders, ropes and lifts
- Ability to work at both Junction Climbing Centre and J2 Bouldering, weekly
- Must be available to work on weekdays between 8am-6pm with occasional work on evenings and weekends for events
- Must be able to pass a police check
- Must be a compatible match with Junction and J2’s setting team culture
- Competition setting experience
- Experience working in multiple commercial facilities, including experience guest setting with different gyms
- Aerial lift certification for articulating boom and scissor lift
- CPR and First Aid certification
- Management experience in any industry
- $24.50/hr with regular wage increases, 30-35hrs/week
- $800/year Health Benefits Account, increases annually
- $500/year gear stipend
- $500/year acute injury stipend
- $250/year wellness stipend
- Membership at Junction Climbing Centre and J2 Bouldering
- Industry discounts and perks
- Paid time, weekly, for physical health management including conditioning, injury prevention and injury rehab
Junction Climbing Center and J2 Bouldering are equal opportunity employers. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply and all applicants will be considered. Even if you do not 100% meet the requirements, we encourage you to apply and highlight your transferable skills. While we are deeply appreciative of everyone who takes the time to apply, only those applicants who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please email your resume to email@example.com by February 28th, 2023.
Start date: May 2023
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org