Website Gecko Climbing Gym
Elevate your life, Rise above your crux, Inspire the world
Head Route Setter
We are looking for someone who is excited and passionate to join the Gecko Climbing Gym Team. The Head Route Setter’s goal is to offer a wide range of climbing difficulty, style, movement, strength, and technique through each of our routes and boulders. The Head Setter will lead and train a team of route setters who are focused on creating the highest quality problems that are both enjoyable, challenging and aesthetically pleasing. The Setting Team will be provided continued education and the tools necessary to achieve their route setting goals.
You will be responsible to:
- Train and lead members of our route setting team
- Ensure routes are of the highest quality and are both enjoyable, challenging and aesthetically pleasing
- Develop a systematic route rotation process that involves removing, cleaning and setting new problems that satisfy a wide range of difficulty and styles
- Set for fun local competitions and USA Climbing sanctioned competitions
- Develop and offer your own Climbing Instruction Course
- Stay current with climbing trends to inspire customer’s experience
- Organize, order and maintain climbing holds, setting equipment and supplies
- Participate in regularly scheduled meetings with the General Manager
- Schedule route setting tasks in conjunction with General Manager
- Communicate regularly with setters, youth coaches, managers, etc.
- Maintain our risk management standards including proper use of and inspection of personal protective equipment as well as designing safe climbing experiences for visitors
- Manage weekly inspections of equipment for preventive service and repairs
- Maintain accurate service records and report problems
- Engage guests and staff with a kind and positive attitude
- Serve in at least one other GCG position, as necessary: (Front Desk, Youth Coach, Climbing Course Instructor, Yoga and/or Fitness Instructor, General Staff Duties, etc.)
Education, Skills, & Qualifications:
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Successful experience supervising employees
- Open to feedback from climbers and community
- 4+ years commercial route-setting experience
- Ability to forerun at a minimum of V7 and 5.12
- Has acquired or is able to acquire a Work-At-Height Certification
- Has acquired or is able to acquire USAC L1-3 Route Setting Certifications
- Additional Certifications in strength training, personal training or other relevant training
Hours, Availability and Pay
- Full-time, 30-40 hours per week (depending on your interest and availability).
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate to experience, certifications, etc.
- Base pay is $20/hour (or more based on experience). Raises are offered semi-annually based on performance.
Environmental and Physical Demands
- Comfortable working in a loud, high energy environment on a regular basis
- Comfortable working at height, moving up and down a climbing wall safely
- Continuously stand and walk on unstable and uneven surfaces for long periods of time
- Able to repeatedly lift, move and carry up to 50 lbs of weight on a regular basis
- Able to balance, kneel, pull, push, and grasp objects on a regular basis
- Have the visual acuity to assess fine details
Salary and Benefits:
- This is a full-time salaried position that offers PTO, continuing education, flexibility in schedule, access to pro-deals through our outdoor industry partners, free membership for the employee plus 1 family member or significant other.
- You’ll be at the heart of building a vibrant and inclusive climbing community.
Please send your resume to email@example.com with the subject “Head Route Setter” including any supporting documentation (certification, recommendations, etc.).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org