Website Stone Age Climbing Gym
Stone Age Climbing Gym (SACG) is seeking an exceptional candidate to join its management team as a full-time general manager in charge of staff development and training; scheduling; and facility operations. The successful applicant will work as part of a team at our 23,000 SF facility as we seek to grow the company. SACG has been in business in Albuquerque since 1997 with a strong focus on supporting and expanding the local climbing community from the ground up. Albuquerque’s high desert climate boasts over 300 days of sun per year with low humidity resulting in year-round opportunities for outdoor climbing and features an affordable cost of living in a city that is just the right size. Make your move to the land of enchantment by joining our team!
● Prepare and optimize the weekly schedule to adequately meet the business needs of the gym while maintaining sensitivity to employees’ work/life balance.
● Prepare procedure updates and compile facility news; distribute to staff in weekly emails.
● Review time cards every two weeks for accuracy in preparation for payroll.
● Proactively manage the staffing pool by forecasting future changes in workload and staff availability to determine the need to hire new staff in a timely fashion to allow for training them before they are needed.
● Review resumes of new applicants, check references, and determine potential new hires; lead the management team during interviews of the final pool of candidates with responsibility for making hiring decisions.
● Train new employees while setting performance expectations and maintaining and building the company culture.
● Counsel staff and strive to improve employee morale.
● Improve staff cohesion through one-on-one meetings and organizing teambuilding events.
● Lead the management team to conduct employee performance reviews.
● Organize and lead staff meetings every two months.
● Be on call to resolve last-minute staffing issues.
● Coordinate police response to security alarms.
● Resolve customer service complaints in a manner that enhances SACG’s reputation in the market.
● Maintain the company image by working with graphic designers to develop high quality and professionally designed communication materials across all platforms – print ads, web materials, social media content, and facility signage.
● Promote the company through public relations efforts by creating and maintaining local and national business relationships and by sponsoring and/or participating in community events.
● Lead the maintenance and cleaning crews to assure that the facility is maintained to a high standard.
● Assist the management team in developing programs, instructional classes, and special events.
● Maintain the annual Stone Age Events Calendar with management team input.
Desired Personal Traits
● Be a champion of SACG culture and values; have a positive attitude.
● Able to lead by example and inspire others to be their best.
● Able to think creatively to bring new ideas and fresh energy to the company.
● Demonstrate initiative with the ability to identify and solve problems.
● Able to make executive decisions while keeping the company’s goals and vision in mind.
● Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Have a professional appearance and manner with excellent customer service skills.
● Be dependable, self-confident, mature, and able to work independently.
● Be flexible, eager to learn, and willing to adapt to new challenges and responsibilities.
● Have strong organizational skills, able to multi-task, and manage time effectively.
● Able to work evenings and weekends and arrive early and/or stay late, as needed.
● A broad range of climbing experience including bouldering, sport, and traditional climbing; mountaineering and ice climbing experience are a plus.
● Prior experience working in the indoor climbing and/or fitness industry.
● Competence with Microsoft Word and Excel are required
Desired but not required:
● Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
● Instructor or Guiding Certifications from the AMGA or similar organizations.
● Working knowledge of Rock Gym Pro, Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Small Business Server.
Compensation and Benefits
Stone Age treats its people as the most important asset of our business. We offer a competitive salary and industry leading benefits commensurate with experience. Benefits after meeting eligibility requirements include paid time off, matching contributions to a Simple IRA retirement plan, and assistance in purchasing private health insurance. A family membership to the gym and access to shop and professional purchase discounts are also included.
Submit your resume and cover letter, detailing your qualification for this position, to [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to Bryan@StoneAgeGym.com